Amarnath Yatra or Lord Shiva's Shrine
Location : 145 km from Srinagar
Altitude : 4,175m (13,700ft)
Fix Season : July to August
Language : Kashmiri & Hindi
The most important event during July/August, is Amarnath Yatra to the Holy Pilgrimage. This is an annual event when thousands of Hindus from different corners of the Globe visit Amarnath caves. The pilgrims trek from Pahalgam to these caves and worship the great ice Lingam. Amarnath is 145 km east of Srinagar in Kashmir. There is an ice Shiva-linga here that changes size with the seasons, and also as the moon waxes and wanes it becomes bigger and smaller. On the full moon day the linga is about 6 ft high. Each year on the full moon day of July-August (Sravana) when the Siva-linga attains its maximum height there is a festival at this cave temple.
It is said that Lord Siva first appeared on this day. The site, India Travel Destinations accounts for tours to Amaranth Yatra, which is an isolated height yet, one of the most sought after centers of religious penance in India. It is located in a glacial valley at 4,175m (13,700 ft.). The cave is about 150 feet high and 90 feet long. Within the cave there are four or five ice formations that resemble the figures of different gods.
Itinerary : Srinagar - Pahalgam - Chandanwari - Sheshnag - Panchtarni - Amarnath - Sheshnag - Pahalgam - Srinagar - Jammu
Duration : 08 nights / 09 days
- On arrival in Srinagar met upon and then drive to Pahalgam. A distance of about 320 kms will be covered in about 10 hrs. On arrival in Pahalgam transfer to hotel for overnight stay.
- Leave Pahalgam (Valley of Shepherds) for Chandanwari. Pahalgam is the best base for most of the treks. Chandanwari (2896 Mts.) is a small shut off valley at the junction of Sheshnag stream and the stream for Astanmarg. The distance of about 16 kms will be covered in about 4-½ hrs. Dinner and overnight stay in tents at Chandanwari.
- Chandanwari to Sheshnag is about 13 kms. (3576 Mts.) The trial climbs the Pisu Ghati and then climbs gradually to the Sheshnag Lake. Sheshnag is one of the windiest places in this valley. The distance will be covered in about 5 hrs. Dinner and overnight stay in tents at Sheshnag.
- The 13 kms trek from Sheshnag to Panchtarani (3657 Mts.) will be covered in about 5 hrs. The walk is through Mahagunas Pass (3200 Mts.) and then a gradual walk to Panchtarani. Dinner and overnight stay in tents at Panchtarni.
- Start trek early in the morning from Panchtarani to Amarnath cave. Amarnath is only 6 kms away from Panctarani. Have a dip in the ice cold water of Amarnath stream, which flows outside the cave. Inside the cave there is scenery of calm tranquillity of white and glistering three massive Lingmas stand erect symbol of Lord Shiva, Parvathi and Ganesh. Trek back towards Sheshnag. It is a descending walk till Sheshnag.
- Trek down to Pahalgam via Chandanwari. On arrival in Pahalgam drive to Srinagar. Transfer to Houseboats. Dinner and overnight stay in Houseboats.
- Morning sightseeing of Mughal Gardens visiting Nishat Bagh (Abode of pleasure) built by Asif Khan brother in law of Jehangir in 1632 AD. And Shalimar Bagh (Abode of love) built by Jehangir for his wife Empress Noor Jehan. All the gardens are situated on the bark of Dal Lake with the Zabarwan Mountains in the background. Enroute visit carpet-weaving factory. After lunch Shikara ride on Dal Lake visiting floating and vegetable gardens etc. Dinner and overnight stay in Deluxe Houseboats.
- Free for shopping and individual activities. Dinner overnight Houseboats.
- Early morning transfer to TRC/Airport to drive back to Jammu or fly Jammu/Delhi.
Day 01: Srinagar - Pahalgam
Day 02: Pahalgam - Chandanwari
Day 03: Chandanwari - Sheshnag
Day 04: Sheshnag - Panchtarni
Day 05: Panchtarni - Amarnath - Sheshnag
Day 06: Sheshnag - Pahalgam - Srinagar
Day 07: In Srinagar
Day 08: In Srinagar
Day 09: Srinagar - Jammu